This scholarship, established by friends, family and many former students of Joseph A. Moran, recognizes and honors Joe’s many decades of service to the youth of our community. This scholarship is awarded to a student(s) graduating from Wilkes-Barre Area High School, Wilkes-Barre, PA. Joseph A. Moran is a respected educator, admired coach and distinguished public servant. He served the students and community of the Wilkes-Barre Area School District for more than 30 years beginning in 1960. As a coach, Joe led his teams to several championships. As a teacher and administrator, he fostered achievement in his students and peers while creating innovative academic programs that benefit students of the District to this day. His service to helping others continues to this day and this scholarship honors and sustains that fine tradition.
Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
- Must be a graduating senior of Wilkes-Barre Area High School, Wilkes-Barre, PA;
- Must be pursuing an undergraduate degree at any accredited college/university, career training center, or vocational training institution as a full-time student;
- Must have been a participant in football and at least one other varsity sport each year during the past three years;
- Must have maintained a minimum 2.75 GPA throughout junior and senior years;
- Must have demonstrated service to school and/or community;
- Must have demonstrated leadership qualities on a team, in the classroom and/or in the community;
- Must be a good school student and community citizen;
- Must show demonstrated financial need.